I love discovering one simple, natural, affordable solution for multiple needs! Did you know that one jar of coconut oil can replace multiple bottles of lotion, shampoo, conditioner, diaper cream, moisturizer, shaving cream, and more? Here are 5 ways coconut oil has helped my family:
1. Lotion – We’re plagued with dry skin at our house. Lotions either don’t work, are a temporary fix, or we have an allergic reaction to them. My poor daughter’s skin refused to be hydrated until we started using coconut oil as a “lotion.” This works best post-bath. Hydrate that skin with coconut oil, put on some pjs, and wake up with smooth, soft skin.
2. Hair Conditioner/Detangler/Frizz Buster – My daughter has beautiful, soft hair with a hint of a wave and some curls underneath. Unfortunately, it is also heavily impacted by humidity and prone to fly a-ways. A friend recently recommended limiting the number of times we wash her hair to 2x per week and adding coconut oil (mixed with a small amount of olive oil) before bed. While this is a messy process, it’s well worth it! The coconut oil eliminates frizz and fly a-ways and encourages her natural wave.
3. Lice Treatment and Repellent – When lice hit our home for the first time recently, we were completely overwhelmed. Treating those nasty bugs required chemically-laden shampoos and comb out sprays, plus 2 weeks (!) of combing for nits. While a combination of apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, and tea tree oil did not eliminate the lice completely for us, it provided an excellent, natural comb out solution.
When those scary notes come home from school or daycare warning about lice exposure, you can also use a combo of coconut oil and tea tree oil as a preventative measure. Lice love clean hair and seem adverse to the smell of coconut and tea tree oil. Plus, it’s a great natural hair conditioner and detangler for your little one.
4. Diaper Cream – Commercial diaper creams are hit and miss for us, plus many of them create an unwanted film on cloth diapers that makes them repel. Coconut oil is great for hydrating the skin and helping to eliminate redness. It’s all natural and safe for regular use on baby’s delicate skin. I find that it works best when you first see redness and is less effective when a rash escalates.
5. Natural Facial Moisturizer and Shaving Cream – I asked my Facebook followers about their favorite natural skin care solutions and people overwhelmingly responded with coconut oil. It can be applied to your face and body in the shower as a natural moisturizer and even double as a shaving cream before rinsing. Changing to coconut oil has really helped my sensitive skin stay moisturized naturally, without worrying about reacting to chemicals and dyes.
This is just a few of the many uses for coconut oil. What do you replace with coconut oil in your daily life?