We’re always told to treasure every moment of parenthood, so I came up with a few moments I believe are under-appreciated. Here are 10 Unsung Moments of Parenting for you to treasure:
- That secret moment of joy when your neighbor with her “helpful” child-rearing advice has her first baby.
- The smile you hide when the kid who “would never do that” does just that in front of their parent.
- That moment of relief you feel when you spy the health-conscious mom at McDonalds on a weeknight, too.
- The first time you drive your kid to school in pajama bottoms and snow boots, with your hair uncombed, and realize you fit right in.
- The quiet vindication you feel when you hear a relative giving out parenting advice that they wouldn’t take from you.
- The reassuring smile of solidarity you gave to the mom with the child screaming over candy in the check out line.
- The first solo trip you take alone post-baby without rushing or feeling guilty.
- The day you decided to stop apologizing for your messy home.
- The time a friend you think has it all together admits that she’s struggling with this parenthood thing too.
- The time you bite your tongue and bring over dinner, instead of saying “I told you so” to that neighbor.
What would you add to this list?