Many of us imagine fireworks lighting the sky when we think of the 4th of July. Independence Day means praying for a warm day, splashing in a lake, eating patriotic-themed food, then shooting off an obnoxious amount of loud fireworks.
With the increased number of no-fireworks ordinances in many cities, combined with the dry spell many areas are experiencing this year, it seems wise to re-think ending our celebrations with a bang.
This doesn’t mean giving up on flashes of color, lighting up the sky, or a big celebration. Just as we remember fireworks as the grand finale, our kids can make their own 4th of July memories with these 15 Safe Alternatives to Fireworks!
- Send Eco Wish Lanterns into the sky. Light up the sky in a brand new way and send up wishes of peace and hope! Eco Wish Lanterns are 100% environmentally friendly and biodegrade, so they leave virtually no trace of themselves when they land.These beauties come in Red, White, and Blue and there’s even an American Flag version of these beauties.
Make Your Own Fireless Fireworks. Pull out your recycling bin and gather the family around to make yourselves some of these fun, safe, and affordable fireworks alternatives!
Set your neighborhood aglow with LED Lit Balloons. Fill balloons with your choice of helium or air, then watch the colors glow all around you!
Get Your Craft on with Confetti Poppers. Design Dazzle has a fun and easy way your kids can confetti the sky for the 4th.
Mix Up Some Fun with Fireworks in a Jar. Hello genius! Let each child create their own fireworks in a jar and maybe even learn some science along the way.
3, 2, 1 Blast Off! with an Alka Seltzer Rocket. Use this free printable to make your own explosive 4th of July-themed rockets and shoot them into the sky. You won’t even need to keep the kids up until after dark.
- Shoot Off Some Water Rockets. You can make your soda bottle rockets as simple as fancy as you like – even creating a rocket launcher to make them go higher!
Make Some Noise in a Safe and Sane Way with Firecracker Goop. For just a few dollars, you have a fun activity for kids that makes all the noise they could ask for!
- Blow Some Colored Bubbles. Mix some food coloring into your bubbles or some dish soap and blow some colored bubbles into the sk.
- Bat at a Pinata and Make Candy Fly. Yummy and fun!
I Dare Everyone in Your Family Not to Have Fun with these Straw Launchers.
Make a Diet Coke and Mentos Gyser. Make a fizzy explosion of fun! I’m curious about what would happen if you added food coloring – would the fizz turn red or blue?
- Put on an LED Dance Show. String some LED wire on your black clothes and choreograph a fun LED Dance Show routine in the dark. You can even hold a contest for best dance!
- Battle it Out With a Paint War. Glow in the dark (non toxic) paint in water balloons, kool- aid in your water guns, or a simple paint fight will add excitement to your holiday.
- Give Everyone Glow Sticks. Don’t underestimate the fun to be had with glow sticks! You can wear them, spin them around, toss them in games, and more!
What are your favorite safe alternatives to fireworks?