Are you looking for a way to support small, local businesses? Try taking your Pokemon Go game to your nearest local businesses. Small towns are ideal for playing Pokemon Go with small children and your game can bring more customers to local shops. Here’s how you can support a small business with Pokemon Go.
Why Small Business?
We live in a small town of about 9,000 and our downtown is made up almost entirely of small businesses. These shop owners work hard to create a unique and pleasant experience downtown. While they love local customers, visitors to our town always give them an economic boost. The stores and restaurants are unique to our community and worth a short drive to enjoy. You might need an extra incentive to come explore my town, though, and Pokemon Go is the perfect excuse!
Pokemon Go Can Boost a Small Town
My 5 year-old son loves to go on walks and we often make our way downtown to visit the library, say “hi” to dad at his office, or grab an ice cream. The traffic is minimal and we only need to worry about one stop light. Most crosswalks are at four or two way stops, so we don’t have to wait long to cross. Our sidewalks are wide and foot traffic is slow and patient with stops along the way. Plus, small towns have tons of Poke Stops (often found at churches and historical sites) in close proximity. This means you can easily collect more Poke Balls and Eggs in a short time! In other words, small towns are perfect for Pokemon Go: Safe, quiet, and kid-friendly.
How to Support a Small Business with Pokemon Go
- Include Small Business in Your Pokemon Go Route. You don’t have to visit a small town to support local business. Simply include your favorite small, local businesses in your Pokemon Go route. Challenge yourself to visit different small stores or restaurants (and new towns) every time you play.
- Drop a Lure at Your Nearest Small Business. A lure will increase the number of Pokemon in an area for 30 minutes. This will draw people toward the Pokemon and the small business. To drop a lure to support a small business with Pokemon Go, simply:
- Tap the red Pokeball at the bottom of your screen
- Tap “Shop”
- Scroll down to find the Lures and purchase
- Return to the app and tap the red Pokeball again
- Tap “Items”
- Tap the purple Lure to activate near a small business.
- Share Pokemon Go on Social Media. Take screenshots of the Pokemon you find near small businesses and share on social media. You can do this with any find, but it’s especially exciting if you post rare Pokemon sightings!
- Use Incense in a Small Business Area. I never thought I’d be typing that phrase on my blog, but it actually refers to another item you can use in Pokemon. Incense works by attracting Pokemon to where ever you walk for the next 30 minutes. Incense is the greatest benefit to the user, but it doesn’t hurt to attract lots of Pokemon near small businesses! You can purchase incense using the steps above, but I recommend looking in your “Items” first because I have only played a few times and I already have two incense without purchasing anything.
- Grab a Bite to Eat. Who doesn’t like an excuse to try out new restaurants or to visit a local favorite? You don’t have to stop for a full meal either. Simply buying a cold drink or a yummy treat along your route supports small business.
- Stop and Shop. Why not take a break from the heat in that fun antique shop or check out the boutique clothing store? This is a great time to grab a book from the local bookseller or treat yourself to some handmade jewelry. Maybe you plan on a date night movie and choose a small theater, catching Pokemon along the way.
Pokemon Go is going viral for a reason – it’s a fun diversion and it gets people out and moving. It’s a terrific family activity and a fun way to interact with the real world around you!
How do you support a small business with Pokemon Go?