I made so many failed attempts at victory rolls. I watched numerous videos, paused, replayed, and faithfully followed directions. My rolls often turned into simple pin curls or looked flat and uninspired. While victory rolls certainly have a high learning curve, preparation with the right products is key for success. Today, I’m sharing 6 Hair Products for Victory Rolls Success. Start with these and you’ll have amazing victory rolls in no time!
If you are all about smooth, natural, touchable hair, vintage styling might not be for you. Pin-up models and bomb girls used lots of product, curled, and teased to accomplish those iconic looks. You want smooth rolls and fluffy curls? You have to get messy first.
6 Hair Products for Victory Rolls Success
- Curl Setting Spray. For many hair types, curls give hair the necessary body to form victory rolls. Whatever curling method you choose – pin curls, curlers, curling iron – a great curl spray is a game changer. Spray helps curls form and stay and gives them the necessary structure for that retro look. Sometimes curls are impossible to fit into your busy life, though. Try for second or third day hair, the messier the better, and you can potentially skip this step. I like Motions Extra Firm Hold Foaming Wrap Lotion and Layrite Grooming Spray.
- Back Comb Brush. You thought backcombing was so 1985. Actually, it’s so 1945. It may feel odd to mess up those newly formed curls, but back comb the front and the back. Trust me. I use a Spornette Little Wonder #111 and really like the boar-nylon bristles.
- Bobby Pins. Buy the big box. You’ll need quite a few to firmly secure your victory roll and you’ll soon find them scattered throughout the house.
- Soft Brush. This will help you smooth and refine your victory roll and curls. I use the Diane Wave Brush.
- Pomade. Once your victory roll is pinned and ready, the smoothing begins. Give your hair a nice comb, then add pomade to give it a polished, finished look. I love the Layrite Original Pomade.
- Hair Spray. A great hairspray will help keep all of your hard work together. I am looking for a more environmentally friendly option, but I have used the Loreal Paris Elnett Satin. It has an extra strong hold, but doesn’t leave a stiff look.
Disclosure: Affiliate links are included in this post. Proceeds go to support my blog.